Monday, July 04, 2005

Nightwaves Update v.2

The Nightwaves shows were excellent. Just like old times. I was a bit nervous at the start, but after the first break, it all came back. I wanted to mix up some old stuff, stuff that I played all the time on my regular shows as well as some new stuff that I've been digging lately. I think I accomplished that goal.

Although it was a reunion of sorts, I also didn't want it to be anything more than it was before. I had anticipated getting my old Saturday night partner Theron and another former Nightwaver, Erin Lindsay, on the air via phone, but that unfortunately didn't happen due to technical difficulties. The only thing that I had planned for sure was to play a few songs for Sonny Edrich, a former Nightwaver who sadly, passed away a few years ago. He was definately there in spirit. Thanks to his family, Sonny was able to physically participate as much as possible both nights by way of a life-sized cardboard cut-out of him that we had in the studio with us. As always, it was great to see him again. I just wish I could've had him on the air, too.

It was also great to see, hear and/or talk to Troy Turner, Dave Miller, Dave Bottoms, Steve Barton, Lori Creed, Brent Thole, Gary Horn, Jeff Kobberdahl, Michelle Sulka and Mike Boberg in the studio and on the air again. Thanks to the people that were able to listen locally and called in (even the guy that called and complained that the BBC was being pre-empted for "headbanging music". You don't know it, but "Seeing Red" was for you). Thanks to all of the Nightwavers that couldn't attend this weekend, but helped make Nightwaves a great program. My apologies to everyone outside of the area that wanted to listen on-line, stayed up to try and couldn't. The audio stream was aparently looped with an old-time radio broadcast for the weekend. Extra special thanks to Jimi Kirby for floating the idea for this weekend's shows to WVXU and his diligence in making it happen. Finally, thanks to WVXU for allowing me to be a part Nightwaves and for it to be an unforgettable part of my life.

Here's my playlist from Friday night:

Husker Du - Ice Cold Ice
*
Gang of Four - Ether
Flin Flon - Floods
Spoon - The Beast & Dragon, Adored
*
Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
The Clash - London Calling
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Red Eyes and Tears
*
Acetone - Chills
Swervedriver - Last Train to Satansville
Luna - Buffalo Boots
*
Minor Threat - Seeing Red
Minutemen - Viet Nam
Lazy - Crush
Bloc Party - Price of Gas
*
Afghan Whigs - Debonair (for Sonny)
Ass Ponys - Under Cedars and Stars (for Sonny)
[station ID]
Soul Asylum - Cartoon
Sonic Youth - New Hampshire
*
Doug Gillard - Valpolicella
Guided by Voices - Little Lines
Lifeguards - Shorter Virgins
Pixies - Velouria
My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes
*
Robyn Hitchcock - Alright, Yeah (Storefront Hitchcock version)

*me talking

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I can't see my pictures either. Hopefully they can get that fixed soon. I had a sweet picture of a car that I can't find anymore, dangit.

kc said...

Glad it went well. Opportunities like that are all too rare. Hope the rest of your holiday weekend was fun!