Thursday, September 01, 2005

Numb

After several days, countless hours spent reading news and articles on-line, having on-line discussions, watching reports on T.V. ... I still can't wrap my head around the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I feel like I need to be there to help, but I know I can't. I wish I could fly a helicopter, but I can't. I wish I had more mony to donate, but I can't. I will donate what I can and I hope you will too. I have so many thoughts and emotions. Some are of complete disbelief at how people are behaving there, while I am angered that more substantial relief has not yet been organized by the Federal Government and reached those in need. I can only imagine that as the days go on, my thoughts and feelings of disbelief and anger won't change much. I hope I'm wrong.

1 comment:

kc said...

I'm right there with you. I just feel like my meager donation to the Red Cross isn't enough! I'm hoping that I can donate some clothing and such. I'm trying to find out who is doing what in my area...

On a related note, a friend of my family's is in the MO Nat'l Guard & was really disheartened today at church. Several people they helicoptered out to safety were putting their frustrations out on them, when they're just there to help.

Hindsight is always 20/20 - I hope we can get their immediate needs (food, clothing, decent shelter) met temporarily, try to get people re-settled and help to rebuild!! It's not going to be easy, but we're Americans, dang it...we'll get it sorted out!!